Mission and Vision Statement
Utah School Boards Association builds highly qualified leaders by empowering locally elected school boards with the knowledge, skill, and quality services to advocate for public education and govern with excellence.
Excellence in public education through effective leadership by locally elected boards of education.
USBA Belief Statements
- Public education provides compressive opportunities for all children.
- Local governance by elected non-partisan school boards best represents community education needs.
- Student learning is dependent upon attracting, and retaining high quality teachers.
- Effective school boards positively inﬂuence student achievement when partnering with parents, students, and the education community.
- Public education’s success depends on public support and sustained financial growth.
- Public education is the key component of Utah’s infrastructure and must be balanced with effective land use, wise School Trust Land administration, and state and local economic development.
- Responsible legislation, through collaboration with state and local education leaders, supports excellence in public education.
History of USBA
Recognizing the need for a unified voice on behalf of children, parents, and taxpayers, local school board members founded the Utah School Boards Association (USBA) in 1932.
The association is governed by the Board of Directors comprised of: one elected director from each of the sixteen (16) association regions, the four elected officers, any Utah School Board member presently holding an elected position with the National School Boards Association (NSBA), and may include 1 representative designated by the State Board of Education.